Charity Insurance

Specialist cover for your charity or not-for-profit

Charity Insurance is a tailored insurance solution for UK-based charities, CIC, CIOs, not-for-profits and community groups that takes into account your individual needs and activities. 

As specialist Charity Insurance brokers, our team can help to build a partnership with your charity, finding you the right cover at the right price and enabling you to concentrate on supporting your cause. Whether you are a small family trust needing Small Charity Insurance or a national organisation, we can quickly get to grips with your Charity Insurance needs and provide guidance tailored specifically to you, whatever your mission.

Key benefits of choosing CKI

  • More than 15 years’ experience of working with charities, from local volunteering groups to organisations that span the UK.
  • A FREE Charity Insurance review to assess your risks and current gaps in your insurance, find solutions and provide you with a no-obligation quote.
  • Sound and impartial advice from knowledgeable Charity Insurance brokers for recommendations that you can trust.
  • A dedicated contact with a Charity Insurance broker who understands you and not-for-profit organisations.
  • First-class service that always exceeds your expectations.
  • Quick and efficient claims assistance to help you get back up and running quickly.
  • Ongoing support throughout your time with us.

CKI has supported the charities I manage for about 8 years now. I cannot praise them highly enough. They always go the extra mile to ensure you get the right insurance product at a fair price and their customer service is exemplary. Their understanding of the charitable sector means that the insurance cover secured is the right one for your organisation; they even helped me check a cover once that they could not place themselves. A truly honest broker!

Katharine Jary Slide Away

Charity Insurance FAQs

What is Charity Insurance?

Charity Insurance is tailored to the unique needs of UK-based charities and not-for-profit organisations.

Many charities end up with Business Insurance policies, but these will not necessarily provide the best fit, leaving charities vulnerable to risk.Charity or Community Groups Insurance policies are therefore tailored to cover each organisation’s specific activities, people and needs to provide complete peace of mind. Policies can include Charity Public Liability Insurance, Employers’ Liability Insurance, Trustee Indemnity Insurance and Loss of Reputation cover – whatever your charity needs to enable you to focus on your cause.

What does specialist Charity Insurance cover?

Cover organised by a Charity Insurance broker such as Chris Knott can give you a tailored policy that meets your specific needs. Insurance for charities could include:

  • Charity Buildings Insurance: This will provide you with financial protection should the structure of any of your charity buildings be damaged.
  • Charity Contents Insurance: If any of your charity contents or equipment are damaged or stolen, this cover will pay to replace them.
  • Charity Public Liability Insurance: Having Charity Public Liability Insurance for charity events, running your charity shop or other activities is vital. If a supporter or visitor is injured or their property damaged, this cover will help to pay legal fees or compensation.
  • Employers’ Liability Insurance: This cover will protect you if an employee or volunteer becomes ill or injured while carrying out work for you.
  • Trustees Indemnity: This will protect your trustees and staff against claims of wrongdoing or poor decision-making.
  • Fidelity Guarantee: This will protect you from any loss of money following the fraudulent or dishonest conduct of a trustee, officer, volunteer or employee.
  • Money Cover: This cover provides protection in case your organisation’s money is stolen or damaged while in a safe, at the home of an authorised employee or volunteer, or in transit to the bank.
  • Loss of Reputation: Reputation is crucial for charities, which is why this cover will protect you if you have to defend yourself against bad publicity.
  • Charity Event Insurance: A standard part of Charity or Community Group Insurance, this cover will provide financial protection for one-off or regular events hosted by your charity.
  • Food Bank Insurance: If your charity is involved in organising food banks, we can provide you with cover to protect its activities and stock.
  • Abuse Cover: This will help to pay legal fees, court appearances and damages if a claim of abuse is made against you.
  • Publisher’s Liability: This will provide you with protection if your websites or other published material are accused of libel. You should also consider this cover if you produce any recordings on CD or podcasts as these could be accused of slander.
  • Cyber Insurance: If your systems or data are compromised, this insurance will provide financial assistance.

Do charities need insurance?

Charities Insurance is not a legal obligation. However, if your charity or community group employs anyone or you have volunteers, you will need to have Employers’ Liability Insurance in place by law. 

It is also a legal requirement to have Motor Insurance in place if your organisation uses or owns vehicles.

Other cover linked with insurance for charities is not legally required. But, like any organisation, a charity or community group has a number of risks which you may need financial protection for. These risks can be linked to your activities, people and premises, to name just a few. 

Without insurance in place, you could face expensive consequences. For example, if your charity’s property was damaged, you would need to pay for it to be repaired or even rebuilt. And if a claim for negligence was made against you, you could face extensive legal fees and compensation payments.

For this reason, it is good to talk to an experienced Charity Insurance broker to find out exactly what risks your charity faces and what protection you need.

Do charities need Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Your charity is not required by law to have Professional Indemnity Insurance

However, if you offer a professional service, such as counselling, or any form of advice or information, you could be liable if a claim of negligence is made against you. Professional Indemnity Insurance can help to cover the costs of any legal action and compensation.

Can I get Charity Shop Insurance?

Yes, absolutely! We know that charity shops provide vital income to not-for-profit organisations, which is why we can create insurance for charities that protects you, your staff and any customers.

To get a quote for your shop, get in touch with a Charity Insurance broker at Chris Knott.

Can I get Public Liability Insurance for charity events?

Of course!

As a charity, it is likely that you will host events throughout the year as part of your mission or in order to raise vital funds. Public Liability Insurance for charities will therefore protect your charity from any claims from members of the public that your event caused injury or damage to their property. 

To make sure you have the right Charity Public Liability Insurance, just get in touch with us. We will ask you about the size of your event, where it is being held and the activities it will include. This will help us to get you Charity Event Insurance that you can be confident in.

Are volunteers covered by Charity Insurance?

If your Charities Insurance policy includes Employers’ Liability cover, then your volunteers will be covered by your insurance.

This means that if a volunteer is injured or made ill while carrying out work for you, your charity will be financially protected should the volunteer make a claim against you.

Your Charity or Community Group Insurance can also be tailored to include Professional Indemnity Insurance so that your volunteers are protected against claims of negligence or other wrongdoing. Just speak to one of our Charity Insurance Brokers to learn more.

What do I need to consider when looking for Charity Insurance?

Working out the right type and level of Charity Insurance for your organisation can be a little complicated. It may therefore be helpful to think about the following when looking for insurance for charities.

  • Do you have employees or volunteers?
  • Do you run any events?
  • Do you own any property?
  • What contents are kept inside your charity’s shops, offices and other buildings (rented or owned)?
  • Does your charity come into contact with members of the public?
  • Do you own or operate any vehicles?
  • Does your charity give out advice, information or counselling?
  • Do you make or sell any products?
  • Do you rely on computer systems?
  • Does your organisation collect or handle personal information?

Of course, you don’t have to find the right Charity Insurance on your own. As an experienced Charity Insurance broker, we can help.

How much does specialist Charity Insurance cost?

Charity Insurance quotes will depend on several factors, including:

  • The number of employees/volunteers you have
  • The value of your property and contents
  • What activities you carry out

To get an accurate quote based on your unique needs, speak to a Charity Insurance broker at Chris Knott Insurance today.

What is Trustee Indemnity Insurance?

Trustee Indemnity Insurance is a policy designed to protect those advising and supporting your organisation against charity trustee liabilities. Your trustees may be found personally liable for the actions and running of your organisation, which means they may have to cover the cost of legal fees and compensation. Putting Trustee Indemnity Insurance in place gives them peace of mind that they will have protection in the event of a claim.

Contact Chris Knott Insurance for a Charity Insurance quote today on
01424 205009

Are you looking for Church Insurance?