Cycle InsuranceCycle Insurance protects your bike from theft, damage and third party liability. Find out more about cover options.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links. While we only recommend products that we believe in, we may benefit financially from any purchases you make.
Cycle Insurance can give riders like you peace of mind when you’re out and about or locking up your bike for the day. With protection for theft, damage and third-party injury, you can set out on your next two-wheeled adventure safe in the knowledge that you have the right cover in place.
Whether you use your bicycle to commute, compete or test out your skills in a BMX park, quality insurance for bicycles can ensure both you and your bike are protected. That’s why we’ve teamed up with NextGen to provide all the protection you need.
It is also very useful if you are borrowing a vehicle that you don’t usually drive, such as a van. This means that you can transport a bulky item or your belongings when moving house.
- Bike Insurance for e-bikes, road bikes, BMX, mountain bikes, tandem bicycles and cargo bikes
- Accidental damage covered as standard
- Bike Theft Insurance
- Third-party protection should you injure someone or damage their property
- Personal accident cover in case you are seriously hurt
- Cover for home and abroad, so you can enjoy a cycling holiday
- A replacement bicycle should yours be stolen
- Recovery if your bike breaks down
- Option for Multi-Bike Insurance
- Option for competition cover
- No claims discount
Bicycle Insurance FAQs
What is Cycle Insurance?
Cycle Insurance is dedicated to protecting your prized bike, whether it’s a road bike, e-bike or BMX. Unfortunately, bicycles can get stolen or damaged, or you could face an expensive claim if you hurt a member of the public or damage their property while you are cycling.
With cycle cover in place, you can rest assured knowing that you and your bicycle are financially protected should the worst happen. NextGen’s Bike Insurance also includes accidental damage, just in case you have an accident or your bicycle is vandalised. And if you are seriously injured yourself, you can also get compensated.
What cover is included in Bike Insurance?
Bike Insurance includes a wide range of protection.
- Bike Theft Insurance: Bike theft is a very common crime. If you are unlucky enough to have your bicycle stolen, we’ll get you a replacement quickly.
- Third-party Liability: It can be very expensive to pay compensation and legal fees should a member of the public make a claim against you for injury or damage.This cover will pay towards your compensation costs and legal fees.
- Accidental Damage: If your bicycle is vandalised or you have an accident that damages your bike, this cover will pay towards your repairs.
- Personal Accident: Cover includes protection should you be seriously injured while riding your bicycle.
- Worldwide Cover: If you’re heading abroad for a cycling holiday, this will protect you and your bike while you’re overseas.
- Breakdown Cover: If your bicycle breaks down on a ride, this cover will help you get home again.
Cycle cover can be tailored to meet your needs. For this reason, you can also add multi-bike cover, accessories cover or competition cover to your policy.
Do I need Cycling Insurance?
Cycling Insurance is not a legal requirement.
However, you may want it for peace of mind, particularly if you own a valuable bicycle or have lots of accessories, not least because bike theft is very common. In 2022, there were 73,070 crime reports relating to bicycle theft in England and Wales. This means that you may want to ensure your prized bike has the right protection in place.
Claims for injury or damage to property can also be very expensive. If you hurt a member of the public or damage their property while cycling, you could face paying compensation and pricy legal fees.
In 2015, a cyclist was ordered to pay more than £4,000 in damages to a pedestrian. Their legal costs were then estimated to sit at £100,000.
With this in mind, you may find it beneficial to have Cycle Insurance that includes third-party liability.
Cycle cover can also be useful if you want assistance if your bicycle breaks down while out for a ride, or if you want financial protection from vandalism.
Can I get Cycling Travel Insurance?
Yes, you can! Cycling Travel Insurance is included in NextGen’s Bike Insurance policies. With this cover, you can take your bicycle anywhere in the world and ensure that it is protected from theft and damage.
Can I get Cycle Breakdown Insurance?
Absolutely. Cycle Breakdown Insurance is included as part of NextGen’s Bike Insurance in the UK. This means that if your bicycle breaks down and leaves you stranded, we will organise a rescue to get you and your bike back home.
Is Multi-Cycle Insurance available?
Yes, it is!
If you’re a keen cyclist, it’s possible that you have more than one bicycle at home. Or if you have a family, you probably have a few bikes kicking around! If so, it’s perfectly possible to get them all insured under a Multi-Cycle Insurance policy. Just let us know how many bikes you’d like to include and you could get a discount on your premium.
What kind of bicycles can I get cycle cover for?
- Road bikes
- Mountain bikes
- Tandem bicycles
- Cargo bicycles (if they’re for personal use, not business)
Am I insured in a cycling race?
If you’re planning to compete on your bicycle, NextGen can help! To ensure you are covered for your race or event, let them know and they will add extra cycling competition cover onto your policy.
How much does Bike Insurance cost?
The cost of Bike Insurance depends on several things. For instance, how many bicycles you want to insure, their value and where they are kept. Your Cycle Insurance premium will also depend on whether you want any extras, such as cycle competition cover.
To get a Cycle Insurance quote online, visit our dedicated partners at GoNextGenCycle.co.uk.