Landlord Insurance

Protect your buy-to-let property and your rental income

Landlord Insurance provides protection if you rent out a buy-to-let property, with specialised cover to protect your buildings, contents and liability. Unlike standard Home Insurance cover, Buy-To-Let Insurance can protect you from events such as loss of rent, third party injury and emergency accommodation. In general, it includes tailored buildings and contents insurance as well as landlord liability and accidental damage. Together, these provide peace of mind that you have the financial protection you need should the worst happen.

Key benefits of choosing CKI

  • Sound and impartial advice to get you the right cover at the right price
  • A direct line to a dedicated contact for all of your insurance needs
  • Expert knowledge of the buy-to-let sector and the insurance needed by landlords
  • First class service that always exceeds your expectations
  • Quick and efficient assistance to settle claims
  • Ongoing support throughout your time with us

Excellent service. They could give information and services when other companies couldn’t. We have been using their services for many years for insurance of both cars and home and property

Elsa M Richter

 Landlord Insurance FAQs

What is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord Insurance, otherwise known as Buy-To-Let Insurance, incorporates several policies to protect you as a landlord from damage to your property and loss of income. It typically includes specialised Landlord Contents Insurance and Landlord Building Insurance, but will also feature additional cover to protect you from the specific risks of being a landlord. This can include:

  • Loss of Rental Income cover, which will provide financial protection if your buy-to-let property becomes uninhabitable.
  • Alternative Accommodation cover, which will cover the costs if your tenants need to be housed elsewhere due to damage to your property.
  • Landlord Public Liability Insurance, which protects you if a third party injures themselves in your property. For example, if your tenant falls down the stairs due to a loose carpet or a tradesperson hurts themselves while carrying out work, they could make a claim against you.

This insurance will help you to cover legal costs, damages and attendance at court.

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

It is not a legal obligation. However, not having it in place leaves you open to the risks linked to letting a property. This is because a standard Home Insurance policy is unlikely to cover a buy-to-let property. Letting a property comes with unique risks. For example, a tenant could maliciously damage your property, you could lose your rental income after a flood or fire makes your property uninhabitable, or someone could injure themselves in your property which results in a claim being made against you. Landlord Insurance can protect you against these specific risks. You may also find that mortgage lenders will not provide you with buy-to-let finance if you do not have Buildings Insurance in place.

What does Landlord Contents Insurance cover?

Landlord Contents Insurance covers the contents that you have provided, such as white goods, carpets and beds. If you let your property furnished, Landlord Contents Insurance will cover these items too. If you are letting flats, it can be extended to cover communal areas, such as hallways, stairs and landings. Landlord Contents Insurance will not cover any contents owned by your tenants, so they will need to buy their own Contents Insurance to protect their belongings.

How much is Landlord Insurance?

Your premium will depend on several factors, including:

  • Whether you are renting a house or flat
  • The age of the property
  • Whether it is furnished
  • Who you let to (students, professionals, unemployed, etc.
  • Your claims history
  • The property’s claims history
  • The number of properties you want to insure
  • If it is a house of multiple occupation (HMO).

Contact Chris Knott Insurance for a Landlord Insurance quote today on
0800 917 2274

Are you looking for Standard House Insurance?