Home Insurance

From standard Buildings and Contents Insurance to the ultimate protection for high-value cherished homes

Home Insurance gives you essential financial protection should the worst happen. If a fire wreaks havoc, subsidence occurs or a thief walks off with your brand-new TV, Home Insurance can step in to cover the costs of replacing or repairing your property and possessions.

Unsure of how much protection you need for your contents? Use our FREE Contents Valuation Guide.

Key benefits of choosing CKI

  • Contents Insurance from as little as £45
  • UK-based Home Insurance brokers and no call centres
  • Option for Accidental Damage cover and Legal Expenses cover
  • A direct line straight to a dedicated contact for all of your queries
  • Experienced Home Insurance brokers with expert understanding of the Home Insurance market
  • First-class service that exceeds your expectations
  • Assistance for quick and efficient settlement of claims
  • Ongoing support throughout your time with us

Excellent service and very helpful. They could give information and services when other companies couldn’t. We have been using their services for many years for insurance of both cars and for our home and property.

Elisa Richter

Home Insurance FAQs

Why do I need Home Insurance?

Your home is likely to be your biggest financial asset. Protecting it with the right Buildings and Contents Insurance is therefore key, as it will cushion you from significant payouts should the worst happen.

Events such as fire and floods can devastate homes, from the structure of your property to your possessions. Theft can also mean you need to repair or replace valuable items. Without insurance, you will be left to foot a potentially very expensive bill.

If you are buying a home with a mortgage, your lender will also need you to put Buildings Insurance at the very minimum in place. Without it, you could find that your mortgage offer is withdrawn.

If you’re unsure about what protection you need, speak to one of our knowledgeable Home Insurance brokers.

What does Home Insurance cover?

It covers both Buildings Insurance and Contents Insurance.

Building Insurance will cover the cost of repairing, replacing and rebuilding the structure of your home if it is damaged or destroyed due to:

  • Fire
  • Flooding
  • Subsidence
  • Storms
  • Theft
  • Water damage and burst pipes
  • Escape of water

Some providers will also provide cover for Trace & Access if there is a leak in your home.

If one of these incidents happens, your insurer will foot the bill for repairing the structure, replacing fitted kitchens and bathrooms, drying out your home, decontaminating it or even rebuilding the property completely. Many policies will also pay for alternative accommodation for you if you cannot live in your home due to damage.

Contents Insurance focuses solely on your possessions and the things within your home, such as furniture, fixtures and fittings. Some policies can be extended to include items kept in garages or outhouses, as well as the food in freezers.

What does Home Insurance not cover?

Home Insurance will not replace or repair items or damage to your property if it is caused by general wear and tear or if your home has been unoccupied for a long period of time.

It will also not provide cover for damage that is caused by mechanical or electronic breakdown. For instance, if your freezer is very old and suddenly stops working, your Home Insurance will not pay to replace it.

Does Home Insurance cover mobile phones?

When your mobile phone is in your home, most House Insurance policies will cover it should it be lost or stolen. However, there are limitations to many of these House and Contents Insurance policies.

For instance, if you have a particularly high-value mobile phone, it may exceed the single item limit of your policy. 

And if you do not have Accidental Damage cover, you won’t be compensated should you drop and break your phone, or otherwise damage it.

When it is removed from your home, it won’t be protected either. To cover your phone so that it is insured wherever you go, you can extend your Contents Insurance to All Risks for personal possessions. Just mention this to your Home Insurance broker when you get your quote.

Is Home Insurance mandatory?

Home Insurance is not a legal requirement but if you are looking to get a mortgage for your house, you will probably find that Buildings Insurance is needed by your mortgage lender. Failing to have it may mean that your mortgage offer is withdrawn.

Even if it isn’t absolutely necessary to get Home Insurance, it is still a good idea to have both your building and contents insured. If your home and its contents are damaged or destroyed, it is very unlikely that you will be able to afford to replace them – or to rebuild your home from scratch.

This situation is a little different if you are a tenant or if you rent your home. If this is the case, you will just need to focus on Contents Insurance. This is because your landlord owns the structure of the building and needs to buy insurance to protect it.

Is Building Insurance the same as Home Insurance?

No, it isn’t. Home Insurance is an umbrella term incorporating both Buildings Insurance and Content Insurance. Together, these two types of cover make up a Home Insurance policy.

Building Insurance is protection for your home’s structure. In other words, its bricks and mortar. If subsidence or a fire, flood or storm damages or completely destroys your property, Building Insurance will ensure that you can meet the costs of repair or rebuilding.

The other aspect of Home Insurance is Contents Insurance, which protects your possessions. House Contents Insurance usually includes your furniture, fixtures and fittings, and can be extended to cover valuables and personal items such as your mobile phone.

Can you get accidental damage Home Insurance?

Yes, you can. Many policies will allow you to purchase additional cover that will protect your property and its contents from accidental damage, such as spilling make-up over your carpet.

If you want to add this cover, make sure you mention it to your Home Insurance broker when you get in touch for a quote.

Does Home Insurance include legal cover?

Some Buildings and Contents Insurance policies will include legal cover as standard, but others offer it as an added extra. If you would like to include this as part of your policy, simply let us know when you get in touch for a quote.

How much is Home Insurance?

According to Chris Knott Insurance’s figures, in the 12 months to March 2023 the average premium was £333.53.

However, this total will depend on several factors, including:

  • The value of your home
  • The contents inside the property
  • Your home’s location
  • The cost of rebuilding
  • Any previous claims you have made
  • The amount of excess you choose
  • Whether you plan to leave the house unoccupied for a long period of time (usually 28 days in a row).

The cost of your Home Insurance will also be affected if your home is built out of non-standard materials, such as thatch, or has luxury fixtures and fittings or unusual features. In these cases, you may need more specialised Non-Standard Home Insurance. If in doubt, speak to a Chris Knott Home Insurance broker for guidance.

Read more: Non-Standard Home Insurance

Do tenants need Building Insurance?

If you rent your home or are a tenant, you will not need to pay for Building Insurance. This is because it is the responsibility of the person who owns the building. However, it is a good idea to get dedicated Contents Insurance, as your landlord’s insurance will not pay to replace any of your belongings if they are stolen, damaged or destroyed.

Contact Chris Knott Insurance for a
Home Insurance quote today on
0800 917 2274

Are you looking for Landlord Insurance?